The J Knot starts out similar to the Surgeon’s Knot but the wraps alternate, which may put less stress on the lines. Field and Stream tested the J Knot to be slightly stronger than the Surgeon’s Knot, Blood Knot and the Double Uni Knot. All are good knots for joining leader to line.
J Knot Tying Instructions
- Lay the main line and leader on top of one another overlapping each other by several inches.
- Form a loop by tying a simple overhand knot, pulling entire leader through loop.
- Run end of line and entire leader through loop from the backside.
- Repeat the process again from the top of the loop entering from the backside of loop to the front and then again repeat from the bottom of the loop.
- Moisten lines and pull tight.