Orvis Tippet Knot
The Orvis Tippet Knot was developed by Perk Perkins of the Orvis Company, as was the Orvis Knot. This leader to tippet knot is very strong and quite easy to tie. It tests similar to the ultra reliable J Knot in strength and most fly fisherman find that it is easier to construct than the tried-and-true Blood Knot.
See Animated Orvis Tippet Knot Below.
Orvis Tippet Knot Tying Instructions
- Lay leader and tippet alongside each other with about four to six inches of overlap.
- Hold the two lines between the left hand thumb and index finger and bring the doubled lines back over themselves to make a loop. Pinch to hold between the left hand thumb and index finger.
- Wrap both ends behind the doubled line and bring them up above the doubled line.
- Feed the tag end of the leader and the entire tippet through the loop created in step 2 two times.
- Wet the knot and pull all lines to tighten. Trim tag ends close to the knot.