Heaving Line Knot
How to tie the Heaving Line Knot. The Heaving Line Knot adds bulk and weight to the end of a rope, making it easier to throw the line. The number of turns is optional.
Scroll to see Animated Heaving Line Knot below the illustration and tying instructions.
Heaving Line Knot Tying Instructions
- Make a two bights next to each other in opposite directions at the end of a rope. Make the bights approximately the desired size of the finished knot. Leave plenty of rope for the working end to make the wraps needed next.
- Pass the working end through the top bight and wrap around both strands of that bight only.
- Continue making wraps but now encircle all three strands working down the ropes.
- Pass the working end through the opening of the bottom bight to finish theknot.
- Tighten the knot by first pulling up on the top loop, then pull down on the standing line.