How to tie a Portuguese Bowline. This knot forms a Bowline with two adjustable loops. It is best to adjust the loops to fit the task at hand before tightening the knot. However, even after tightening, rope can be pulled from one loop to the other.
Scroll to see the Animated Portuguese Bowline below the step-by-step knot tying instructions.
Portuguese Bowline Knot Tying Instructions
- Cross the working end of the rope over the standing part to form a small overhand loop.
Pinch and hold the lines together.
- Now make a large loop of the desired size and cross its working end over the small loop. Pinch and hold in place.
- Moving in the same direction, bring the working end around to make the second loop,
but this time feed the working end up through the small loop from behind.
- Pass the working end around the backside of the standing line and back down into
the small loop.
- Pull the standing line and the working end to tighten the knot.