How to tie the Sledge Knot. The Sledge Knot is the ultimate construction knot for binding items such as poles and logs together. Use it to make a raft from poles! Once tied it will hold everything together very firmly, however it cannot be undone and you will have to cut it off.
It's easy to tie, stays absolutely secure, and is an excellent choice for binding things together. The ratcheting action allows you make it far tighter than most other knots. The only down side is that it can be made so tight that you can't untie it, and usually must be cut to unbind the items.
The Sledge Knot is an excellent knot to add to your knowledge base and we hope you'll give this one a try!
Scroll to see Animated Sledge Knot below the illustration and tying instructions.
Sledge Knot Tying Instructions
- Wrap working end of rope around items to be lashed together twice.
- Pass working end behind standing line.
- Wrap working end around standing line and itself three times working from bottom of knot up toward top of knot.
- After passing the working end over the front of both ropes for the third time, wrap behind only the left side rope and feed working end down through the top most loop formed. Next, pass end over the next two parts of lower loop and BEHIND bottom part of lower loop.
- Tighten the knot by pulling first on the working end to tighten up the loops. Now pull on the standing line to move the knot up to your anchor point, just like any slip knot and continue pulling and working the knot tighter and tighter.